(Wini)Fred is now on her way to make a little girl's Birthday wish come true. I made her (similar to my first attempt) using the same needles as the pattern requests, no gauge swatches (tut tut), pink bargain dk for body etc, and for the light pink (hair) and dark pink (dress) found one ball of each colour of Elle's Velluto in a bargain bin. She wanted an 'up-do' so has a floppy quiff, and for the observant, yes her wings are on upside down but I found the weight of the felt decoration the "correct" way round just meant they folded over and curled into nothing.
I've found if I use my cast off edge as the top of the arms and legs, this adds a natural slant that enables the appendages to hang more readily.
The thing I really struggle with is the mouth, my 'little' running stitch looks a bit like a row of etched teeth, but with another mermaid requested, I shall try again!